As you can see, it’s taken me a while to write about fitness because I am far from the expert here and I struggle with this topic daily. And, no matter how many people tell me that I need to just “embrace” my new mom body, I can’t! It’s not only the muffin top, everything is just a little off – especially after the second child, in my opinion. Anyway, when I do workout, I’m one of those people that want to really sweat and feel like I was pushed hard, every time. That’s why one of my favorite pre-baby workouts used to be spinning. But finding a gym with a great class that fits into my schedule was not happening. And, nothing really got me motivated enough to put working out on the top of my priority list so I’ve gone in and out of different exercise routines from pilates and yoga to the elliptical trainer and boot camps. What I’ve learned is that if you are serious about attacking the “muffin top” you have to do hard core cardio.
So, last year my husband and I did INSANITY together. Let me just say that the name is perfectly suited for the workout. It is from beach body, the same people that sell P90X and 10-minute trainer. It’s a 60 day program that relies 100% on your body alone, which is what I love most about the program. Short of sounding like an infomercial, or I guess it would be a blogomercial, let me tell you the top 10 reasons why I LOVE this workout:
10. The whole family can workout together. Jim and I didn’t always do the workout together but we tried to stay in synch so we could support one another
9. It’s addicting, once you get through the first few days, you crave the workout… seriously
8. You can do it anywhere – it only requires a DVD player, a mat and a hard surface
7.It’s a self-monitoring program – anyone can do it, you can tone it down as necessary and as you get stronger, the workouts get harder!
6. There are no props – it’s just your body – it is stunning how simple moves can be so challenging
5. The intensity is motivating- each move is 45 seconds (how hard can that be?) so you can push yourself through the pain. There are 3 rounds of each series of moves with each round going a little faster than the last round
4. You get a “recovery week” between Month 1 and Month 2 🙂
3. Shawn T becomes your best friend and nobody can figure out why you keep yelling “Dig Deeper” at everyone!
2. Every day you do it – you feel like you accomplished something!
1. You get results!
It took me probably 75 days or so to complete the 60 day program the first time around. And several months later, I went back for round 2. After that, my “muffin top”, is still hanging out with me, but it’s about half the size that it was before I started the program. So, if this is intriguing to you… check out this link for more information – I strongly recommend it!