HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL THE PISCES OUT THERE! Today I’m officially closer to 50 than 40 and I can honestly say that I’m happy about that! I do tend to stress out over milestone birthdays far in advance of the actual event so we will see how I hold up in the upcoming years but today, I will relish the moment. On my 29th birthday for example, I had a major meltdown about turning 30 and then when that day came, it was uneventful – in a good way. When my 40th birthday began approaching I had a full blown mid-life crisis at 37 so I’m tracking right on pace for 50…
Watch out 50, I’m coming at you, and I’m happy because . . .
- I know what I want and I’m going for it: I’ve always pushed harder when I’ve been faced with doubters or haters but those voices have made an impact and they have lingered in my head. Over the last several years, I’ve learned to trust myself and my instincts and stay true to myself!
- I am finally OK with saying “No” without feeling guilty (not for days on end at least): Focusing on yourself and your own needs isn’t being selfish, it’s just taking care of yourself. Knowing what your priorities are, how you want to spend your time, and who you want to spend your time with is being genuine. Most importantly, choosing to say “Yes” is really a choice, not an obligation!
- The little things matter most: One of the most important values I live my life by is paying attention to the smallest of details and I have spent much of my life feeling disappointed and unappreciated because I thought these “little things” were ignored, missed or dismissed. What I know now is that the “little things” have made a significant impact and it has been more rewarding than what I could have ever imagined.
- Being a strong woman is sexy: Women oftentimes are the harshest critics of other women and I’ve experienced my share of criticism and judgment. Only now have I learned to be proud and unapologetic for being a woman with a point of view, vision, sense of purpose and confidence. And what is most rewarding is seeing my boys learn that women are both strong and nurturing!
- Giving is better than getting: Living a life of gratitude takes practice and the reward is a life of abundance. I am most happy to be able to help others in small and big ways and I am grateful for the rich experiences, meaningful relationships, and opportunities to continue to learn and grow!